Friday, August 8, 2014
Baby on Board
So I started my first blog and I am so excited, but must admit I do not know the first thing about blogging. I am the type of person that will spend months researching something and then loose interest and never get around to doing whatever I hoped because I researched too much. I say all that because I doing something so non-Megan and just started this blog on a whim and plan to make this first post without any research. I love it...so out of my element. Fun having those moments where you live outside your comfort zone. So, back to the inspiration for this post.
Who has ever seen those bright yellow diamond shaped 'baby on board' signs hanging on peoples car windows? Who has ever wondered what the heck they mean. My first thought was they are alerting other drivers to drive safely because they have a cute little fragile newborn on board. This thought of course was before I had my son. Naive and innocent interpretation to say the least. I am currently two months into commuting two hours both ways to work and back with my twenty-month old son I have an entirely new interpretation of those signs. Really they are warning signs for the following:
I probably have not slept in months, so the probability of me falling asleep at the wheel is very likely, so watch your back.
My kid(s) in the backseat may decide to throw their bottle or baba as my son says, toy or pacifier (pah-ee) and on a real good day all three and then scream and expect me to retrieve them while driving. So the likelihood of me swerving is just as likely or even more likely than me falling asleep. So beware.
I may be jamming out to my kid(s) favorite CD for the millionth time that I forget that red means stop and I keep on cruising through the red light. Oops. Oh wait that would be a New York driver on any given day, baby on board' sign or not. Sorry native New Yorkers, just so true. Still love you though and your rebel road ways are starting to rub off on me.
The moral of the story is that this little sign actually is amazing and kudos to whomever invented it. I wish I was that smart. The above warnings are summed up in one easy to read statement with the neon yellow back splash. Which I must mention on the road portrays danger and slow down, i.e.: slippery when wet or work zone.
Next time you spot that 'baby on board' sign in the mini van or grey ford escape with the Virginia plates driving like a New Yorker you may want to give a few extra car lengths of space, send up a prayer or give a little extra grace. There is a mom or dad behind the wheel--or maybe both who are doing their best.
From a mom who couldn't imagine commuting with anyone else.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment