It's hard to turn on the news anymore, because it's one scary world out there and the news always seems to make the world we live in just that much scarier. At this point I just want to take my whole family and live in a bubble. A safe bubble where we can enjoy life and are kept safe from the bad stuff. I feel that way even more now after having a child. I watch my son play so free and I love his naivety. He does not have a care in the world and does not understand that life is scary. Wish I could keep it that way. But that's not reality. As a parent we do our best to protect our kids, but it is also our job to prepare them for life on their own. Out in the real world, where evil exists and life can be taken so abruptly.
I write all of this in light of the breaking news of the Oregon shooting that took place this past week. It seems too often these stories are reported. Since it occurred I keep thinking about all those impacted, what they must be going through, what it is like to lose a child, what is it like to have your child lash out in such a way....I just don't know. I cannot even begin to put myself in their shoes.
The world grace keeps pressing on my heart. Grace for the shooter, grace for his family and how only God's grace guarantees that when our time has come to an end on this earth we will
live in eternity with Him.
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:8-10
Grace is unmerited favor. Cannot earn it, but is gifted to us when we ask Jesus Christ into our hearts to be Lord of our lives. I can't help wondering what kind of life Chris Harper-Mercer had. What supports were in place for him, what supports did his family have, and the list goes on. I can only imagine. I think about so many others out there who may be on the brink of doing the same thing.
God loved Chris Harper-Mercer. God knows his story. I know God is heartbroken. God knows your story.
I wonder...What is my role in all of this? What can I do differently? Why I know that living in a bubble won't help this world I live in.
My first thought is my role in sharing the message of Jesus Christ, because I am a believer that a personal relationship with Jesus Christ will transform your life on earth. I believe life after this earthly life will be filled with joy and peace in heaven. I want everyone I know to experience this.
As a Christian...I want to do so much. I wanna change the world and do life better. Wake up and be thankful for each day I have with the ones I love. We are not guaranteed each day.
"13 Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15 Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” James 4:13-15
Life is too short. I want to trust God more. Love others more. Know how blessed I am and be thankful each day. I want to change the world. Pray more.
Jesus said--“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
I don't have all the answers. No one does.
Worth a listen--Storycorps
or
Here I am across the country and by no means directly impacted by the events that took place on this Oregon Community College campus. But can't help but wonder what guilt does this shooter's family and friends carry? Past shooters' loved ones? How are they doing now? Do those who lost a loved one by the perpetrator reach out like Andy Downs did? How can we de-stigmatize mental health? How can our society do better with helping those who suffer mental and emotional disabilities? What is my role as a Christian? What is the church's role? Do my prayers help? Matter? I wish I could do more.
I pray for those whose lives have been forever changed. Pray their hearts would find grace and forgiveness for the shooter, just as Andy Downs did for Angelia Sheer's father who suffered from mental illness. I believe in healing. As Angelia shared in her interview, "Just meeting you helped my heart and soul understand their was still love and compassion in the world even when their is so much darkness."
"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."
1 Corinthians 13:13
No comments:
Post a Comment