Unfortunately that word is spoken much more often then any of us like.
Official definition: the disease caused by an uncontrolled division of abnormal cells in a part of the body.
Oh but it does so much more...the impact that cancer has on individuals and their loved ones cannot be summed up in a simple definition. The shock, the heart ache, the fear, the stress, the suffering, the pain and the list goes on.
But one word comes to mind of so many people who have been impacted by this uncontrollable division of abnormal cells.
Resilient.
Definition of resilience. 1 : the capability of a strained body to recover its size and shape after deformation caused especially by compressive stress. 2 : an ability to recover from or adjust easily to misfortune or change (Merriam Webster).
As an oncology social worker and patient advocate I come face to face with individuals facing cancer on a daily basis. In my previous professional work I walked alongside individuals with cancer at their bedside as they fought the uncontrollable division of abnormal cells.
I have experienced first hand the resiliency of so many with cancer who face it with courage, hopefulness and grace. It's beautiful to see. It doesn't always make sense, but some have that ability to remain resilient. Along with their family and friends who walk alongside them.
I learn so much from each persons life and story. Each unique. Each challenge me and remind me to be thankful for my health, my life, my family and my friends. None of us are immune from these uncontrollable division of cells.
I'm thankful that I have been blessed with the chance to walk with all these resilient people and encourage those who grow weary. I tell them "I don't know what your facing or what your going through, but I am here to do my best to understand and assist you and your family in any way possible." It's a gift and a joy to do the work I do. My life is changed and impacted on a daily by my 9-5. I would not want it any other way. Thank you for letting me in.
This blog comes about today because my heart and mind are reminded of those who have passed away from the uncontrollable division of cells--cancer. Those individuals for whom I did not know it would be my last appointment. Arranging a free cab ride home post chemotherapy, assisting with the dreaded short-term and long-term employer paperwork, over tears inquiring of how those left behind will manage and trying to find a way to send you and your family on a free and much needed vacation that you could not afford. The list goes on. I'm reminded to give my best even on my bad days because it may be the last visit.
On a personal note several resilient individuals who have touched lives all over their cities, country and world have passed away recently of cancer. They will be missed. Barry Logsdon & Dale Sexauer. Please read obituaries below:
What they had in common. Resiliency and a faith in Jesus Christ their Lord and Savior. They each shared Jesus' love with more people then they ever could count or know. Read below for the legacy they leave behind...
Two scriptures below come to mind and rings true of these two men of God who have left a legacy that will be blessed for many years to come even though they are not with us on this physical earth to see it. They are instead standing with God in heaven with joy, praise, thanksgiving and health watching their legacy live on. On behalf of all those you have touched thanks for living, walking and sharing in your gifting. May the rest of us be inspired to do the same so we too can leave a legacy. "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'"
New International Version
The Year of the Lord’s Favor
1The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,a
2to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
3and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the Lord
for the display of his splendor.
4They will rebuild the ancient ruins
and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities
that have been devastated for generations.
5Strangers will shepherd your flocks;
foreigners will work your fields and vineyards.
6And you will be called priests of the Lord,
you will be named ministers of our God.
You will feed on the wealth of nations,
and in their riches you will boast.
7Instead of your shame
you will receive a double portion,
and instead of disgrace
you will rejoice in your inheritance.
And so you will inherit a double portion in your land,
and everlasting joy will be yours.
8“For I, the Lord, love justice;
I hate robbery and wrongdoing.
In my faithfulness I will reward my people
and make an everlasting covenant with them.
9Their descendants will be known among the nations
and their offspring among the peoples.
All who see them will acknowledge
that they are a people the Lordhas blessed.”
10I delight greatly in the Lord;
my soul rejoices in my God.
For he has clothed me with garments of salvation
and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness,
as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
11For as the soil makes the sprout come up
and a garden causes seeds to grow,
so the Sovereign Lord will make righteousness
and praise spring up before all nations.
Much love--Meg--
|
No comments:
Post a Comment